A road trip from Melbourne to Sydney is one of the best ways to truely appreciate this wonderful part of Australia, so we decided to hit the road to explore some of Australia’s best kept secrets…! From the beautiful sun-bleached coastal regions to snow-capped mountains and rural towns, this road trip showcased just how incredibly diverse the Australian landscape is.
The fastest way to travel from Melbourne to Sydney is straight down the Hume Highway, however taking this option means you miss out on everything in between… The most challenging part of the journey is deciding whether to drive inland, or along the coast. In our view, the most picturesque option is to combine the two (if time allows).
Here are our favourite spots we found along the way !
- Tamsin Table: A shared table, a rambling kitchen garden and a hilltop farmhouse - what more could you ask for !
- The Borough Dept. Store: Set amongst the stunning rolling hills of South Gippsland, right in the heart of beautiful Korumburra - the Borough Dept. Store is a cafe, cake shop, creamerie and wine store!
- Udder & Hoe: Head here for amazing local produce and great coffee!
- Fish Creek Hotel: An iconic pub - go check out the big fish!
- The Big Drift: Miles and miles of sand dunes. Make sure you head here for sunset, if feels like you could be anywhere in the world.
- Squeaky Beach: Named because of the sounds you'll hear while walking along the sand. Squeaky Beach is a must do !
- Whisky Bay: Pack a picnic of local produce and you'll be set for the day !
- Tongue Point Hike: 9.4km (one way) this is a hike you need to be prepared for.. showcasing the most stunning views of the Prom!
- Ninety Mile Beach: As the name suggests, Ninety Mile Beach is 90 miles of white sand - perfect for a 4WD !
- Golden Age Hotel: The Golden Age is located right in the heart of Omeo in Victoria’s High Country, offering panoramas of Omeo! - it is also one of the best looking pubs we've seen!
- Mount Kosciuszko Lookout
- Ginger Baker Wine Bar and Cafe: offering delicious breakfast, lunch & dinner & the best wine menu!
- Nightingale Bros. Alpine Apple Orchards: Fresh apples straight from the tree!
- Alpine National Park: Breathtaking
On this trip, we saw so much (and so little) of Australia! We also saw firsthand the aftermath of the Summer bushfires. It was simply heartbreaking... The Lucy Folk team have been working hard on something special that will launch in early April. Stay tuned, we can’t wait to share our project with you!